Sunday, July 5, 2009

Stepford Wife

Just sitting around doing nothing; HOW BORING. Not really. Thumbing through magazines, wondering why I can't throw together all those perfect meals and wonderful crafts. I never understand the people who write into magazines!
Lately I have been feeling like they all say the same things over and over again. How to lose 10lbs in a week w/ killer chocolate cake on the front. If it's a mom mag it's filled with fantasy. Sure I would love to serve my kids dinner on glass plates, with cloth napkins, in a perfectly decorated and designed dining room. Their utensils would be bio-degradable, so we could just toss them, this way I can conserve water. Why not? One pack of utensils for like $5- Yea and my husband he works from 9am-5pm. When he comes home I am wearing my best dress, it's taffeta darling... I would love to get up at 3am and make homemade Popsicles for my kids out of organic fruits w/ kiwi slices on the bottom (sadly though there is really a part of me that wishes I could attain this goal). In these magazines even the stains on the kids look perfect!
Whole entire articles focused on buying overly expensive clothing and #1 voted kids toys. Just the extra stuff I need to clutter my house and the floor of their messy rooms. Maybe I feel sub-standard...but I would rather see a good magazine that shows us moms/ women how to dress on a walmart/target/ old navy (as a splurge) budget. Haircuts that a non-Vidal Sassoon hair dresser can do without messing up!! Actual tips we can use like 'how to not lose your mind', 'how to let it go', 'how to not lose your temper', 'how to find time to yourself', etc. If you are going to show us make-up again go no fancier than the Clinique counter. They're must haves are always so expensive. Here is how it should read-

Old Navy Flip Flops- $3
Walmart Beach Bag- $5
Maxi Beach Dress- $20 (old navy Splurge!)
Spray Suntan Lotion- $4.94 (Walmart)
Sunglasses- ($16 Target Splurge!)

Absolute Necessity: Pedicure/ HOT PINK

1 comment:

  1. I know your proverbial plate is quite full at the moment, but I would love to see you start a magazine! I would surely subscribe. You have it exactly right -- the "Lose 10 lbs." article alongside the chocolate cake recipe, the "articles" that are merely advertisements for expensive non-essentials that further complicate our lives and make us feel badly for not doing things like setting the table with fine linens and sterling silver. Thanks for the posting. Peace be with you and your beautiful family this night.

    ReplyDelete